Sunday Funday is here lifting our glasses to Oktoberfest! So what to make? Pretzels and Beer Cheese Dip seem like the obvious choices and I have recipes for those that I’m happy with. I’ve made German Christmas Cookies, Lebkuchenherzen (a form of gingerbread) as well.
I kept searching & found a recipe for German Cucumber Salad, which reminded me of my mom’s recipe for Cucumbers & Cream. I’ve made my mom’s recipe but it never turned out quite right. This recipe reminds me a lot of my mom’s. My favorite part was the sour cream, which made a slightly thicker sauce. The dill was a great touch too! I’m glad to have this recipe on hand as a great way to dress up cucumbers!
Try these great Oktoberfest recipes:
- German Cucumber Salad from Amy's Kitchen Adventures
- German Potato Salad from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Kohlrouladen - German Cabbage Rolls from Sneha’s Recipe
- Laugenbrezel (German Soft Pretzels) with Big Sur Sea Salt Blends from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Oktoberfest Casserole from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Sauerkraut Rye Bread from Palatable Pastime
- Vegetarian Flammkuchen from Mayuri's Jikoni
- Wurstsalat from Pandemonium Noshery
German Cucumber Salad
Adapted from Plated Cravings
2 cucumbers, peeled
¼ cup sour cream
½ tablespoon white vinegar
½ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon dried dill
¼ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Place the cucumbers in a bowl.
Whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour the sauce onto the cucumbers and stir to mix (it will still be quite thick). Cover and refrigerate for 2-4 hours. Stir again prior to mixing, the sauce will be thinner as liquid from the cucumbers mixes in) Serve cold.