For this week’s Sunday Funday, participants were invited to make recipes using cherries or berries. I decided to challenge myself and use cherries, since I’ve never used or even purchased them before.
And then I decided to challenge myself further and make a clafoutis, even though I’d only ever seen one on TV and had a vague idea of what it should be like.
I used this recipe from Once Upon a Chef to a tee and then promptly panicked. I served the clafoutis to guests and it was not set at all, and it was much pinker throughout (due to the cherry juice). I was certain I’d given everyone food poisoning even though it had baked for ages. I ate a bit, hated the texture and honestly felt like it was missing something.
I covered the leftovers and stuck them in the refrigerator, fully intending to trash it later. The next day, I decided to give it one more shot and and was pleasantly surprised that the texture was as I had expected the first time around!
I also found that the almond flavor was much more pronounced the next day, and I loved it with a dusting of powdered sugar and cinnamon for a little something extra.
Will this be a repeat? Eh, tough to say, but once it set up, I did enjoy the clafoutis!
Want more Berry & Cherry recipes?
- Cherry Clafoutis by Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Coconut Dried Cherry Overnight Coffee Cake by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Egg White Crêpe/Tortillas & A Chicken Strawberry Wrap by Sneha's Recipes
- Fruit Tartlets by Mayuri's Jikoni
- Grilled Chicken Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette by A Day In The Life On The Farm
- Lemon Raspberry Coconut Cake by Cook with Renu
- Real Maraschino Cherries by Culinary Cam