It’s Sunday Funday and this week’s theme is mangoes.
Mangoes are an ingredient I am wholly unfamiliar with.
To my recollection, I’ve had mangoes exactly twice, and both in margarita form.
Once was my honeymoon (over sweetened and disgusting), and once last summer. My in-laws came to town for Spud’s confirmation and a couple days later we went out for Mexican food. There we ordered a pitcher of margaritas and I learned that mango margaritas were my mother-in-laws favorite (something I managed not to glean after 15 years of marriage to her son).
I haven’t mentioned it here yet, but my sweet mother-in-law passed away tragically at the age of 57 with complications from COVID about 6 weeks ago. It’s been absolutely devastating.
And so, when mangoes came up as an ingredient, I decided to make these margaritas as a small, but inadequate tribute to her.
While not my favorite version of margaritas (I’m partial to strawberry), these were definitely a delicious addition to our taco Tuesday!
Mango Recipes from other Sunday Funday Bloggers:
- Aam Panna with Jaggery (Raw Green Mango Summer Drink) by Cook with Renu
- Dragonfruit, Mango, Jicama, & Corn Salad Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Grilled Steaks with Mango Chimichurri by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Homemade Aam Roti/Mango Papad by Sneha's Recipe
- Mangonada by Palatable Pastime
- Mango Chicken by Making Miracles
- Mango Falooda by Mayuri's Jikoni
- Mango Margarita by Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Spicy Mango Salsa by Food Lust People Love
- Stir-Fry Mango Ginger Chicken by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- White Chocolate Mango Mascarpone Mille Crepe Cake by Pandemonium Noshery
1 ripe mango, diced (about 1 cup)
Juice from 1 small lime (about 2 tablespoons)
¼ cup orange juice
2 ounces tequila (omit for a virgin margarita/smoothie)
½ cup ice
Sea salt & lime to rim glasses, optional
Place the mango, lime juice, orange juice, tequila, and ice into a blender and blend until smooth.
Meanwhile, run a lime (or mango juice) along the edge of 2 glasses then dip in sea salt to coat.
Pour the margarita mixture into the prepared cups and garnish with a lime. Serve immediately.
Saw John, Mike and Ilene at Catch 22 for dinner last night and they were enjoying a Mango Margarita. Cheers to Kirsten and the memories she left us. Hugs to you. Take good care of John while he is with you and let me know if there is anything that needs to be done here on this end. Love you.ReplyDelete
I'm so sorry about your mother in law. Your margarita is a loving tribute to her.ReplyDelete
Amy heartfelt condolences to you and the whole family. Covid has been a very trying period for so many of us. A lovely tribute to your mother in law. Though sweetish I love mango margarita especially the slushy type.ReplyDelete
Sorry to hear about your MIL..The margarita looks stunning and you have captured it beautifullyReplyDelete