With today being the summer solstice, Sunday Funday is celebrating with foods inspired by A Midsummers Night Dream.
Full of fancy and magic and faeries, this is a very fun theme.
After much hemming and hawing, I decided that Butterfly cupcakes were fanciful enough to match this theme, plus they’re fun and easy to put together!
For this recipe, a vanilla cupcake is hollowed and filled with a bit of lemon curd then decorated to look like butterfly wings! The result is both delicate and tasty!
A Midsummer Night's Dream:
Faerie Recipes as a Tribute to Oberon & Titania
- Magical Cookie Bars by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Butterfly Cupcakes by Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Chocolate Pixies by Food Lust People Love
- Magical Meringue Mushrooms: Queen Mab's Dining Table by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Pixie Stix Candy Straws by Palatable Pastime
- Blueberry Lavender Mini Cheesecakes by Making Miracles
- Beetroot & Chocolate Mini Muffins by Mayuri's Jikoni
- Fruity Birthday Cake by Sneha's Recipe
1 (15 oz) box white cake mix
1 (3.9 oz) vanilla instant pudding
4 egg whites
8 oz sour cream
3/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup water
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line muffin tins with paper liners.
Mix all of the ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer until smooth. Divide the batter evenly between the liners and bake for 25-28 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
To decorate as Butterfly Cupcakes, use a paring knife to carefully cut a cone shape out of the top of the cupcake. Add a teaspoon of lemon curd.
Fit a piping bag with a large closed star tip (I used a Wilton 2D), and pipe a dollop of buttercream frosting to cover the lemon curd.
Cut the piece of cake removed earlier and cut in half. Add the halves to the top of the cupcakes to resemble butterfly wings. Finally, add a dusting of powdered sugar before serving.
Makes 24-28 cupcakes