Now that I’ve shared all those yummy bread recipes, it’s time to share a soup to go with them!
This month’s Soup Saturday Swappers theme is Root Vegetable Soups hosted by Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm!
There are so many ways to interpret root vegetable soup! Potatoes? Onions? Beets? Carrots? Celery root? I mean, you could go so many directions on this!
Almost immediately I decided I wanted carrots involved, since it’s Easter and all. Then I decided that I also wanted beets (beets are so delicious!) Then, I kept adding some of the more flavor neutral root vegetables (parsnip and rutabaga), plus some necessities (onion and garlic) and got to roasting!
This soup is absolutely perfect, especially when the strong root vegetable flavors are balanced with the tanginess of a nice feta or goat cheese – plus a sprinkling of basil!
Roasted Root Vegetable Soup
Adapted from Food & Wine
1 large beet (about ½ lb)
4 parsnips (about ½ lb)
2 carrots (about ½ lb)
½ rutabaga (about ½ lb)
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper
6 cups chicken broth
1 small spring rosemary, minced (about ½ tsp)
1 handful basil, chopped (about 2 tbsp)
Feta or goat cheese, to serve
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
Peel all of the vegetables and cut to about ½-inch thickness. Place the veggies on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil over the veggies and season liberally with salt & pepper. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so, until the vegetables are just beginning to brown along the edges.
Heat the broth in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the roasted vegetables and herbs. Simmer until the vegetables are completely softened.
Remove from heat. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup (alternately pour the soup into a blender.) Pour into bowls and serve with crumbled feta or goat cheese on top.
- Garlic Soup with Pasta and Peas by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mounds Cake by Family Around The Table
- Roasted Root Vegetable Soup by Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Deviled Ham Bites by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- 30 Minute Dinner Rolls by Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Easy Pecan Sticky Buns by Corn, Beans, Pigs & Kids
- Easy Citrus Ham by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Sausage and Vegetable Strata by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus With Lemon Herb Sauce by Tip Garden
- Dipped Strawberry Carrots by Family Around The Table
- Easter Malted Milk Dip by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Sharadan's Lemon Blueberry Parfaits by Cooking With Carlee
- Easter Egg Cooking and Dyeing Tips and Tricks by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Easter Bread by Palatable Pastime
- Carrot Cake Pancakes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Torta Salata Pasquale by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Creamy Coconut Mini Tarts by Making the Most of Naptime
- Dill Roasted Radishes by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Roasted Parmesan Asparagus by Family Around The Table
- Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cinnamon Crescent Rolls by Tip Garden
- Individual Easter Breads by Cooking With Carlee
- Tomato Asparagus Quiche by Caroline's Cooking
- Mini Peeps Whoopie Pies by Palatable Pastime
- Rosemary Garlic Herb Rib Roast by Family Around The Table
- Honey butter Peas and Carrots by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Pea and Pasta Salad by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Roasted Eggplant Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Baked Eggs with Tomatoes by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Carrot Cake Energy Balls by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Classic Peanut Butter Confetti Bars by Making the Most of Naptime
- Easter Muddy Buddies by Family Around The Table
- Grandma's Easter Bread by Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Linda's Famous Carrot Cake by Cooking With Carlee
- Mimosa Bundt Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Mini Easter Cheesecake Bites by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Spring Herb Brie Bake by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Carrot Cupcakes with Bailey's Frosting by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Easter Egg Blondies by Cooking With Carlee
- Easter M&M Thumbprint Cookies by Family Around The Table
- Frosted M&M Blondies by Palatable Pastime
- Ham & Cheese Omelette Roll by Corn, Beans, Pigs & Kids
- Homemade Chocolate Flowers by Caroline's Cooking
- Old Fashioned Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Quick and Easy Garlic Knots by A Day in the Life on the Farm