I love blogging clubs, so today, I’m joining a few of my blogging friends in the Blogger Clue Society! In this club, participants cook from an assigned blog for a themed reveal each month (and the club is open to new members! If you are interested comment below or e-mail me and I’ll get you in touch with the right people!) Since February is the height of the cold, winter blahs, we’re cooking up warm, comforting soups and stews today.
For today’s recipe, I got to choose from one of the many delicious recipes from Kathy’s blog, A Spoonful of Thyme. Kathy remembers watching her grandmother and mother cooking when she was young. After she had her own children, she also began cooking and placing great importance on family meal times. I couldn’t agree more! We have dinner as a family (usually home cooked) every evening – it’s pretty rare that one of us can’t make it (especially since my kids are still little)!
Kathy has so many delicious recipes to choose from, including numerous soups! I seem to always gravitate toward potatoes and cheese this time of year, because my list included Dutch Cheese Soup, Potato, Cheese, & Ale Soup, Roasted Potato Leek Soup, and my final choice: Creamy Ham, Swiss, & Potato Soup.
I was so happy I chose this soup! I even made the cheater version with deli ham because I overbought at the store. I can only imagine how much more delicious it would be with baked ham!! WOW!
There is a perfect balance of flavors. There’s smoky flavor of the ham, mixed with the creaminess of the potatoes, and sharpness of the Swiss cheese. It is absolute perfection and a wonderful way to warm up on a cold winters day!
Thank you for such a cozy recipe, Kathy!
- Caldo de Mariscos - Mexican Seafood Soup by Sue from A Palatable Pastime
- Cheddar Cheese Soup by Kathy from A Spoonful of Thyme
- Chicken Asado by Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Classic French Onion Soup by Lisa from Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- Creamy Ham Swiss Potato Soup by Amy from Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Egg Drop Soup by Christy from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Egg Drop Soup by Rebekah from Making Miracles
- Ginger Lemon Chicken Soup by Lea Ann from Cooking on the Ranch
- Italian Soup by Anna from annaDishes
- New York Strip Steaks with Cognac Creamed Mushrooms by Christiane from Taking on Magazines
- Okie Peasant Potato Soup by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Potato and Ham Chowder by Kate from Kate's Kitchen
- Roasted Red Pepper Soup by Azmina from Lawyer Loves Lunch
- Roasted Squash and Apple Soup by Jean from Lemons and Anchovies
- Simple Cheese Soup by Heather from All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Veggie Chili by Lauren from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Debra from Eliot's Eats
- Karen from Lavender and Lovage
Creamy Ham, Swiss, & Potato Soup
Adapted from A Spoonful of Thyme
1 ½ tbsp butter
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
1 cup ham, cut in small cubes (preferably baked ham, deli in a pinch)
¾ tsp dried thyme
5 medium potatoes, diced
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup freshly shredded Swiss cheese (Gruyere if you’re feeling fancy)
¼ cup lowfat milk
Salt & pepper, to taste
Fresh parsley, to garnish
Melt the butter in a small soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions and ham. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are softened and the ham is lightly fried.
Stir in the thyme, potatoes, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soften and easily broken up.
Use a spoon to break up some of the potato chunks. Stir in the cheese and milk and heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve with a sprinkle of parsley and Perfect Garlic Toast.