Sunday Funday is celebrating Oktoberfest today!
I was thinking about what to make and decided that nothing was more representative than my Americanized version of Oktoberfest than a recipe including sausages, beer, and pretzels!
I always love a beer brat, so I thought it perfect to pair them with a pretzel roll (recipe coming soon!)
It was a beautifully warm fall day when we made these (possibly the last of the season) and a perfect goodbye to summer as the weather turns colder.
Don't miss these other Oktoberfest recipes:
- Bauernfrühstück (German Farmer’s Breakfast) from Sneha's Recipe
- Bavarian Cheese Spread from Food Lust People Love
- Beer Braised Steak from Palatable Pastime
- Beer Brats on Pretzel Rolls from Amy's Cooking Adventures
- Obatzda (Cheese Spread) from Making Miracles
- Oktoberfest Breakfast Casserole from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Sourdough Soft Pretzels from Karen's Kitchen Stories
Beer Brats in Pretzel Buns
1 pound brats
8 ounces beer
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, sliced
2 tablespoons beer
Stone ground mustard
Place the brats in a shallow pan. Pour in the beer and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, flip and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the brats are cooked through.
Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium heat. Grill the brats for about 5 minutes, or long enough to get a light char.
Meanwhile, discard the beer from the pan. Add the butter and melt. Stir in the onions and cook until caramelized, adding in beer to keep the onions from drying out and to speed the caramelization.
To serve, slice the pretzel roll. Add the brats and top with caramelized onions and mustard.